experts discussing

Building Insurance that fits your needs

Buildings insurance covers the cost of repairing damage to the structure of your property. It usually covers loss or damage caused by fire, explosion, storms, floods, earthquakes, etc.

Whether you’re a landlord or an owner-occupier, buildings insurance isn’t compulsory under the law. However, if you have a mortgage then buildings insurance will be a condition of the mortgage and must be at least enough to cover the outstanding mortgage. Your lender should give you a choice of insurer or allow you to choose one yourself. If you buy a house you should take out buildings insurance when you exchange contracts. If you sell a house you are responsible for looking after it until the sale is completed so you should keep your insurance cover until then.

Find a Branch

Contents Insurance

Contents insurance is insurance that pays for damage to, or loss of an individual’s personal possessions while they are located within that individual’s home. Some contents insurance policies also provide restricted cover for personal possessions temporarily taken away from the home by the policyholder. Quite often contents insurance is combined with buildings insurance although unlike buildings it is not a condition of the lender that you must have it.

Read more in our Helping Hands Brochure
team meeting in office
typing man
shaking hands
paper work with roof view

With 19 branches located all around Northern Ireland, you’re sure to find a local The Mortgage Shop near you! Visit us today for all your building insurance needs.

Find your local branch
reflecting man

Important information

The Mortgage Shop (NI) Limited undertakes credit broking and is not a lender. Think carefully before securing other debts against your home.  Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage. Typically we do not charge a fee for mortgage advice, however if we do, depending on your circumstances, it will be a maximum of £250. You may have to pay an early repayment charge to your existing lender if you remortgage.